Saturday, October 22, 2016

Cordwood Shed Build: Floor Pour (part 6)

The shed project has been seeing some seriously slow progress, but is still coming along. The last rainstorm dumped water into the bottom, and I had to do some drainage above the shed in the driveway area to keep the inside from being soaked.

Rain gutters will help with the remaining part of the problem. I think I have decided to build a small covered front porch, too.


Rain pouring into shed. This was before the driveway drainage project.


Everything inside the shed is wet!


Draining water off behind the shed into the pasture.


Water bars in the driveway, have needed to do this for a long time anyway. Before this, the water ran straight down the driveway...and into the shed.


Plugged the holes between the rafters and caulking the cracks. Had to do this before putting a rain gutter on.


Peeling poles for the porch.


Cement mixer. For the floor, finally!! It's taken me awhile but yes, I am pouring a slab. Hand mixing fourty something bags of cement didn't sound too fun to me.


Pouring the first couple inches of floor. Using the first half of the concrete to level out everything inside the shed, to the best of my ability.

The cement mixer and a helper are a total lifesaver here! I can't even lift an 80lb bag of cement right now, have gotten a little bit too pregnant for that.

The end result is a little too watery, we made a mistake by washing out the cement mixer before moving it out of the way... the result was a fair bit of excess water in the mix. I am really hoping this doesn't crack the slab. Rebar on top of this portion and another layer of concrete are in the works.

Because of the extra layer of concrete going in, I didn't worry over much about total perfection. In truth I probably won't have a coronary if the end result isn't totally level, I'm doing my best though.


No comments:

Post a Comment